We listened to all your comments about your experiences walking and cycling around Marks Gate. Many of you said the subway under the A12 was smelly, dirty and unpleasant to walk or cycle through on your way between Chadwell Heath and Rose Lane.
So, we’re going to do something about it – and we hope you’ll get involved to help out too.
On Thursday 16th April we’re going to ‘SPRUCE up the Subway..& more!‘ Working with Agenda 21 and with support from Barking and Dagenham Council we will:
– tidy the vegetation around Padnall Lake
– collect rubbish or fly-tipping into a skip on loan from the borough
– start to sand down the bridge over the lake for painting
– prep and start work on painting a mural in the subway
– plan for other interventions that will help to improve the subway further e.g.boxes of lavender to grow on either side of underpass
Everyone is welcome to attend – we need as much help as possible – the more people we have the more we can get done! We’ll provide clean up kits, rubbish bags, pickers, gloves and refreshments but please come wearing old clothes and shoes.
Where and when?
10am – 12pm – Meet by Padnall Lake
12pm – 1pm – Lunch break back at the Community Centre
1pm – 4pm – Meet at the East Road subway for a painting extravaganza!
We hope this will be the start of similar kinds of community improving activities happening in the area run by residents which will help with another resident priority – to build on the pride and positive identity of the Marks Gate community and surrounding neighbourhood! Do bring your neighbours along and help to spread the word.
If you have any questions about the day or the DIY Streets: Marks Gate project please call Phillippa on 07789 653888 or email email@example.com